Sunday, March 28, 2010

Jacobs Well..

Today I tried out a new church called Jacob’s Well.  Obviously I can’t tell from one service whether I will call that my new church home, but it was interesting because I felt as though the pastor was speaking right to me and it was what I needed to hear today.  He talked about when you’ve hit a wall and how to get through that. 

The past couple months I’ve been struggling with wondering why on earth God chose me. What do I have to offer to Him who is perfect and mighty?  I do not deserve His love at all after continuously ignoring Him, and continuously not striving to seek Him.  A few weeks ago I hit that wall of feeling stuck and not being able to get past where my life has been spiritually and crossing that bridge to the other side of what I want and know it should be.  In the sermon, the pastor talked about when we hit a wall, we need to go through it.  In Matthew 16 it says,

 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must…be killed, and on the third day be raised.  And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.”  But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan!  You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting you mind not on divine thigs but on human things.”

 Satan is causing me to be so focused on earthly things that I just can’t see past it.  Getting past the wall isn’t about doing more or finding more solutions, it’s about becoming new with God.  Problems can not be solved by the same level of awareness that created them.  At the wall, God abandons you.  You will be supported, but it is you that needs to make the step.  At the wall, God waits for you on the other side.  On the other side of the wall is hope and life. 

 Jesus says “For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.” Mathhew 16:25

 Do you see what this means-all the pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it.  Strip down, start running-and never quit!  No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins.  Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in.  Study how he did it.  Because he never lost sight of where he was headed-that exhilarating finish in and with God-he could put up with anything along the way: cross, shame, whatever.  And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God.

We then walked through a labyrinth.  The entrance being a place to stop and reflect on your intentions for the spiritual walk you are about to take.  The walk around the design symbolizing the letting go of your old life, as you approach the center I felt as though I was walking as a bride toward God in the center, my humble creator and Father, approaching Him for help &  guidance.  Walking out takes us back to our lives, empowered to be more of who God has created us to be.  

 At the end of the service the band was all giddy about something under their sleeves...suddenly they started singing  “Hold my Hand” by Hootie and the Blowfish.  Funny how some songs if you picture it in a different way it can totally pertain to God. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoW3bqnr7tw


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad things are going well - quite the experience with a student nurse ;) Call if you need anything EVER!

    ReplyDelete