Wednesday, April 1, 2009

PDA in Church? Whaa??

So..you know those couples that are walking down the street and they can't keep their hands off eachother?? They either have their arms around eachother's waist, or one hand in the others back pocket...you know what i mean, it's like they're going to get lost if they aren't constantly attached to the other..well anywho, saw one of those the other day....although I didn't see them out in the streets....they were sitting in front of us in church.... I would guess they were maybe Freshman in high school.  The guy was constantly whispering in the girls ear, they were like groping eachothers arms, giving hand massages, holding both hands, and they even kissed once or twice....ok, so do whatever on your own time, but please, please don't do this in church...extremely distracting for one, and definitely not appropriate during church let alone anywhere else at that age.  What made the situation from annoying to funny however was the fact that there was a "grandma" sitting right next to the guy who kept doing double takes of their hands and by the looks on her eyes I know if she wasn't in church her jaw would have dropped to the floor.  She kept looking at the guys face too to try to get him to see her disapproval...but, he apparently didn't notice.  Just got me thinking about relationships and the importance of keeping them pure.  I'm not being judgmental at all because I know I'm not a perfect example, but just for discussion purposes I'll continue with my thoughts.  Do you really know what you want in a guy at that age, let alone really know yourself?? I know when I was that age even though I was a believer, I was more into what I was going to wear to school to make me look attractive, how much hair spray it was going to take to keep my hair perfectly curled, how many guys you could get to say hi to you in passing. I could've cared less whether they were a church-goer, or what their goals in life were or what they were passionate about. Having a niece in this day in age, or the thought of having a kid one day of my own knowing what went on in high school several years ago, and what it could be like when they go through those experiences is one big scary thought..especially with what society is like today..when we were growing up the popular shows were Saved by the Bell, and Full House....very family friendly shows...you don't really see that so much anymore, and all the songs on the radio now are horrendous!!!  Check this out...this is just one of the many songs on the "hit" station today that teenagers are being exposed to on a daily basis. 

    I'll take you home if you don't leave me at the front door.
    Your body is cold but girl we're gettin warm
    And I was thinking of ways I could get inside.
    Tonight you're falling in love, let me go now. 
    This feeling is tearin me up, here we go now. 

    Now if she does it like this, will you do it like that? 
    If she touches you like this, will you touch her like that?
    If she moves like this, will you move it like that? 
    Come on shake, shake, shake-shake-it. 

    Your lips tremble but your eyes are in a straight stare, 
    We're on the bed, but your clothes are laying right there, 
    And i was thinking of places I could hide.
    Tonight you're falling in love, let me go now. 
    This feeling is tearin me up, here we go now. 

    I saw you dancing and couldn't get you off my mind.
    I could tell that you could tell that I was taking my time.
    But I was thinking of ways to get you staying the night.
    Your body's shaking, so tell me off so i can turn off the lights...

...and it goes on from there....Keep in mind I tried to find one of the least provocative of lyrics to share with you.  

And we wonder why the rate of teen pregnancies is sky-rocketing...hmmmm.....

As Christians, and even for non-Christians, I think it is important to be aware of what we are feeding our minds and spirits. While it's very easy to conform to the standards of the world, God's word should have authority in our lives. God does not give instruction to be cruel, but rather for protection of hurt and disappointment.  We have to remember that our bodies don't belong to us, but rather belong to God and we should protect his creation in order to be who he wants us to be.  I pray frequently for the future protection of our loved young ones, and for positive influences in their lives who will educate them on getting to know themselves & God before pursuing things or people that will only lead them astray.

No comments:

Post a Comment