Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Loving the 32 Hour Workweek LIfe!!

So as some of you may or may not know, I currently only work 32 hours per week.  This is ideal to me, however I've found that when I tell certain people this I feel as though there's a stigma that goes along with it....such as,  you're not a hard worker or you're lazy if you don't work the "standard 40 hour work-week plus a gillion hours of overtime" Here are some of my reasonings for going against the norm on this one. 
Reason 1: In the world of hospital nursing, if I worked any more than this I believe I would go insane.  Nursing as I have discovered as with most any job, is extremely stressful.  I go to work daily worrying whether because of the economy I'm somehow going to be expected to handle 6 or 7 patients instead of the 5 that on some days are already too many to handle,  or if my patients are going to be alive at the end of my shift, because 1 little mistake could turn something from bad to ugly, or if I'm going to get talked to for something that another nurse didn't take care of, or I didn't chart on one of the 6 flowsheets that seem to take away hours of valuable time you could be spending with your patients.  Don't get me wrong, I love nursing, but in this day in age I feel as though nursing has taken a turn in the wrong direction, and having an extra day a week away from that stress seems heavenly.  
Reason 2: Even though nursing may have been my calling, it is not my life, nor do I ever want it to be.  There is so much more to my life than my job, and it's not as though I spend that whole extra day off from work lounging on the couch eating potato chips.  I find that there is much more time to be able to commit to spending with my niece which I would never give up, or tutoring at People Serving People ( a Homeless Shelter in downtown Minneapolis), mentoring a 4th grader through Big Brother big Sister, having time to be in a bible study, i've recently taken up violin lessons which I lOVE, having more time to develop friendships, having a little extra time to spend at a coffee shop and ponder life, or simply go home for a couple days to enjoy the parents. I'd much rather be in tune to the world around me than the bubble of my job. I especially feel this way after living in the Ugandan culture for a period of time, and seeing how they value relationships much more than financial gain and career goals. They sure don't have a lot of money or material things, but for the most part they are happy people.
Granted nurses tend to make a little more money than some jobs and I currently have no children to support, but either way I would be willing to give up that extra amount of money & adjust how I make purchases, and stop buying "things" that just end up in the dumpster one day anyway, just to have more sanity in life.   I also realize this isn't possible for everyone as there is a tough economy out there, but if it is possible for you, I highly recommend it! 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I am stepping into your privacy like this, I just noticed you posted this link on facebook. I love your rational for the 32 hour work week and learning from the Ugandan culture that there are so many richer things in life than working a billion hours to find happiness in material gain. Spending time with people, doing things you enjoy, being quiet and content, at peace. Oh, your so cool, way to be sista'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you work a 32 hour week! We all would if we could! I think if people think you aren't a hard worker or you are lazy they are probably just wishing they only worked 32 hours... anyway, its great you fill your time with meaningful things when you aren't working! =)

    ReplyDelete